Are you looking for the best small business ideas to start in 2022? Read our guide of great small business ideas to help inspire you to start and grow a successful business of your own.
- Many of the best business ideas in 2022 use an online business model.
- You should choose a small business idea that you are passionate and knowledgeable about, then come up with a detailed business plan.
- Look into the competitive landscape for your product or service and determine if there is sufficient demand in the marketplace for your business to thrive.
- This article is intended to inspire those who want to make extra money and start a small business of their own.
If you find an idea you would like to pursue, take a look at our step-by-step guide for how to start a business.
- Online ResellingIf you’re looking for the best online business ideas and are passionate about sales or clothing, it may be worth considering starting a business reselling things online. You need a good eye for fashion and plenty of time and dedication to turn this side hustle into full-time business. You can start using online websites like eBay, Mercari and Poshmark to sell extra clothing, then expand to a resale website of your own.
- Consulting If there’s a specific topic that you are passionate and knowledgeable about such as business, marketing, social media, communication, leadership or human resources, starting a consulting business may turn out to be one of the more lucrative business ideas. Create a business plan, start your consulting business by yourself, then over time look for opportunities to grow your business and hire additional consultants.
- Teaching OnlineThe increased demand in education for online courses has created a wide range of possibilities for aspiring entrepreneurs. Teaching online allows you to focus on a subject that you have knowledge in regardless of where you are located. If you don’t have prior knowledge or expertise on a particular subject, you can always teach English to students studying foreign language overseas.
- Bookkeeping OnlineAs with online teaching, technology has allowed a variety of bookkeeping services to be performed remotely. If you are good with personal and business finances, have bookkeeping skills and desire the autonomy and freedom of being a business owner, consider starting a business for online bookkeeping services from the comfort of your own home.
- Medical Courier ServiceIf you have decent time management skills and a reliable form of transportation, it’s worth considering starting your own medical courier service. You’ll be responsible as a driver to transport medical items such as equipment, prescription drugs and lab specimens. You can start a solo endeavor with a courier business by yourself, or hire drivers to work directly for you.
- App Development
If you have a background in technology, a career in developing apps is a perfect small business idea. With the vast majority of Americans owning smart phones, the business world will continue to need apps developed for companies both large and small. With the popularity of virtual reality software on the rise, there’s a quickly emerging market and increased demand for virtual reality app development.
- Transcription ServicesIf you can type quickly and pay attention well, a transcription business can allow you to have a flexible schedule and work from home. The need for medical transcription services has been on the rise in recent years. If you are looking to slowing enter the marketplace instead of diving in all at once, you can accept as many or as few jobs as you’d like. If you want to increase your chances of success and justify charging your clients more, you can focus on a few specialties and become a certified transcriptionist.The going rate for medical transcriptionists is generally 6 – 14 cents per line of transcribed material which can add up quickly. The average turnaround time for projects is 24 hours, so you’ll need to stay proactive and on point for your accepted jobs.The option of accepting fewer jobs up front will allow you to scale up your business structure as you become ready. One great thing about transcription services is the low startup costs. To begin, all you will need is a good computer, the right software and a secure service for messaging.
- Professional Organizing If you are good at organizing, consider starting your own business as a professional organizer. In our materialistic age, there are many people out there who are desperate to downsize and declutter their possessions. Minimalism is on the rise, but it can be extremely difficult for people to part with the possessions that have been in their life for a long time. Developing a system to help your clients downsize is a key element in being a professional organizer.If you are an extremely organized person that enjoys making spaces comfortable and functional, you may be good at imparting your wisdom to others and teaching them to do the same. If you want to promote your business online, take before and after photos of the spaces you’ve organized and add those photos to an online portfolio or on social media.
- Cleaning BusinessIf you have a knack for cleaning, you can easily create a cleaning service business. With a few employees, a range of cleaning supplies, and reliable transportation, you can offer cleaning services to commercial properties, apartment complexes and residential homes.Most cleaning businesses charge between $25- $50 per hour. You’ll have relatively low startup costs but you will need a solid plan, dedication and marketing tactics to attract a solid customer base.If you want to set yourself apart from your competition, offer premium options such as exterior power washing or floor waxing for an additional fee. Extra services such as these will help differentiate yourself from the other companies out there.
- Freelance Content Writing and CopywritingIf you’re good with words and have a bit of marketing experience under your belt, consider your own freelance writing business. Plenty of companies out there are willing to pay third parties to write their blogs, press releases and web content.SEO knowledge will add to your value as a content writer if you can develop a strategy to capitalize on specific keywords used by the target audience in online searches. Freelance writers generally charge around $40-$50 an hour, but if you have experience writing for a particular niche, you could charge even more.As long as you have an internet service and a reliable computer, you can operate your freelance writing business from anywhere in the world.
- Home Care ServicesIf you have a passion for helping the elderly, you can start a small business to help seniors that require care in their home. The National Institute on Aging estimates that between 2010 and 2050, the number of people 85 and older will increase by 351% globally with the number of centenarians (those 100 years or older) increasing tenfold. With this being said, the number of those needing assistance and care in their own homes will continue to increase.You don’t necessarily need a background in healthcare if you want to help housebound seniors while at the same time grow a successful business. Seniors need all sorts of tasks done for them such as running errands or repairing things around the house. With a bit of experience in the marketplace, you could even expand the scope of your business to help seniors transition into assisted living homes with services like packing, setting up, transporting or storing possessions.
- Translation Service The demand for translation services is expected to rise over the next 5 years as companies and industries rebound from the global COVID-19 pandemic. The projected growth in this market is not surprising considering the wide range of opportunities created by the internet for entrepreneurs in other countries to enter markets in other languages.Multilingual speakers can now offer services like website or document translation for use in other markets. If you are fluent in several languages, you should seriously consider starting a business in the translation services industry.
- Digital MarketingThe importance and centrality of the internet will only grow in the coming decades. With its growth will be the increased difficulty for businesses to cut through online clutter and market themselves properly. Digital marketing services will continue to be in demand, especially for small and midsized companies who don’t have the funds or means to establish in-house marketing teams. If you are knowledgeable about SEO, pay-per-click advertising, content marketing, social media management or web development, you can seize the many opportunities in the digital marketing space and establish a small business you can run from the comfort of your own home.
- Food TrucksIf you want to be your own boss, consider starting your own food truck business. Food truck businesses come in all different shapes and sizes and offer a wide range of cuisines for hungry customers. Take your passion for cooking on the road in this quickly growing industry. One of the main advantages of owning your own food truck business, in addition to mobility, is that your overhead costs will be significantly lower than they would be for a traditional storefront restaurant.
- Lawn and Gardening ServicesFor most homeowners, lawn care is a pesky task to be avoided at all costs. But for others, lawn care can be a rewarding and peaceful endeavor for those who enjoy working with their hands outside. If you have a knack for taming landscapes and making them beautiful, consider starting lawn care businessA landscaping business will require little more than a few pieces of equipment, a good trailer and vehicle to pull it with, and perhaps some additional staff depending on the amount of clients you have and the size and scope of your jobs.
- Rideshare Driving If you’re looking into new business ideas, have a reliable vehicle and enjoy setting your own hours, consider working as a rideshare driver. The overhead and day-to-day responsibilities of running the business will fall on the rideshare service which will give you the flexibility of working as much or as little as you want.Rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft allow individuals to earn extra income when they want it. Drivers have the independence of small business owners without the workload requirements of managing all the behind-the-scenes logistics.
- Real Estate For most people out there, the housing market is overwhelming to navigate. Real estate agents help by finding people their dream homes for a price they can afford. In most states, obtaining your real estate license involves a few months of classes and passing a real estate exam. In addition to the licensing requirements, owning a successful real estate business requires strong social skills. So if you’re not a natural people person, it’s probably best that you pursue another small business venture.
- Graphic Design Businesses of all different shapes and sizes need well designed, eye catching material for use in their marketing promotions. If you are naturally artistic and have a good eye for organizing content in a visually pleasing way, consider stating a graphic design business. You can market your services and get hired by companies to create posters, flyers and digital ads for their marketing efforts. Few tools other than a computer and a place to work from are required to get started on this home business ideas.
- T-shirt PrintingSimilar to graphic designers, t-shirt printers need a sharp sense of artistic abilities. If you like taking designs and printing them onto clothing, this is one of the many unique small business ideas to consider. All you’ll need to get started is a place to work from and a few basic tools and supplies.
- DropshippingJust because a company sells a particular good, it doesn’t mean that they store those goods onsite. Dropshipping allows people who run e-commerce sites to fill orders through third party vendors. Oftentimes these third parties are wholesale retailers with warehouses and shipping operations. Since minimal tools and inventory are needed for dropshipping, it is a great startup idea for those with limited storage space and capital.
- Pet SittingRoughly two-thirds of families in the U.S. own a pet. When they go out of town for extended periods of time, they may need to rely on your pet sitting business to give them peace of mind that their fury creatures are being taken care of well. Your responsibilities as a pet sitter would include watching the owner’s pets at their house, being sure to give them food and water, play with them and walk (with dogs) as needed. Additionally, you’ll need to send updates to your clients about how their pets are doing.The cool thing about have a pet sitting business is that with a laptop and internet connection, you can work another job remotely and have two income streams at the same time.
- Handyman ServicesAre you a jack-of-all-trades type of person who enjoys fixing things and taking on projects around the house? Consider starting a handyman business. Start by creating a website and conducting an analysis of the market to determine where your level of expertise lands on the pay scale. When you’re looking to get the word out about your new business, turn to the friends and family you’ve helped in the past to get referrals and new leads.